Let's Collaborate! - Spore

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let's Collaborate! - Spore

Post by Ishida on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 pm

[Click here to skip to the most recent adventure]

What is Spore?
Spore is a God game developed by Maxis and the last project Will Wright acted as Lead Designer before leaving Electronic Arts. It places you in the role of a creator and ultimate director of a single species in a vast galaxy shaped by other players as you struggle to survive and achieve sentience.

The player guides the species that they created through treacherous microbial depths in the Cell Stage, socialize or hunt down others in the Creature Stage, ally or eliminate rising societies in the Tribal Stage, unite the planet in the Civilization Stage, and explore the cosmos in the Space Stage.

What is this "Let's Collaborate"?
Spore is a unique game in that there are a number of choices that the player can make in order to change the outcome of the events that play out. There are small decisions, such as deciding to dance with or rip apart a new species, as well as larger ones, such as to declare war on an empire you've long hated, or attempt to reconcile with gifts and missions to prevent any bloodshed.

Originally, I was simply going to do a text-based Let's Play on the game in which screenshots and narration would guide forum viewers as the game was played. Upon further deliberation, I decided to maintain these elements, but instead leave a significant portion of the decisions to you, the forum reader. The game will continue either based on majority rule or "first come, first serve", depending on pressed for time I am that day. Wink

How will it play out?
Rather than describing it outright, I'll provide an example:

As the prime member of the Ploob species, you take charge and explore the vast lands of this planet, gazing at the magnificent new sights and smells around you. The trees appear to tower over you as the shadows create a cool breeze over the gentle yet striking sunlight. As you take everything in, you suddenly stumble upon a neighbor who appears to be settled near your nest!

You move in to get a closer look. Although they are herbivores, they appear to know of the strifes of the world - perhaps and moreso than you have - as their numerous spikes and poisonous tail immediately catch your eye. It might be a good idea to socialize with them in order to gain a worthy ally.

...Then again they could be your next delightful meal. You can only gain sustenance from other creatures as a carnivore, after all. Just the thought of your teeth sinking into their smooth flesh makes your mouth savor. Their defenses shouldn't prove to be that tough against your cunning, and the challenge absolutely excites you even more.

So, what shall you do? Will you go through with being Social in order to have a friend to turn to? Will you become the Predator that your instincts lead to be? You may even consider yourself to be Adaptable, promising that you will lead a path that has both friends and foes alike.

At this point, any forum member can respond with which action they want the creature to take. Any choice that presents a "middle ground" option, such as Adaptable in this instance, will not be a direct option that can be chosen, but it will be noted. (The only exception is the Civilization Stage.) In other words, the players must collaborate in order to maintain that careful balance between two choices.

Let's assume that Social was chosen.

After much contemplation, you decide to try your hand at Socializing with them. An ally would be much more valuable for your species right now, and you're not exactly starving at the moment. You approach the creatures as they look upon you in confusion. They seem to be perplexed by your upright figure and stereopsis. Perhaps Singing will impress them? You open your mouth as the sound of your people embraces the air with its melody.

...To be honest with yourself, it doesn't sound all that much like a song. In fact, it's more like a pattern of screeching noises, but the Rebun species (as you have mentally decided to name them) seem to love it! They dance in joy as you continue making noise. In return for your impressive abilities, they will gladly allow you access to their nest at any time and are willing to aid you whenever you may need it! Hooray, now they're all your friends!

All of them except this guy, apparently. They're just kind of...staring into the sky as if nothing's going on around them. You're not even sure if they even know you exist.

Moving along...

--

The only rule I have for this particular thread is that you keep it PG-13 or under. Yes, I know how tempting it is to repeat what Game Grumps did, but I would prefer to keep that particular content to a minimum in this playthrough.

I own both the Creepy & Cute Parts Pack, Galactic Adventures, and Bot Parts Pack - all possible Maxis content in Spore can be used. Furthermore, I am also using the PlatinumSpore mod, though I will remove it if enough people do not want it in the playthrough. It is most heavily for the Space Stage modifications as well as to spice up some the narration rather than having the same events play out in a predictable fashion. Wink 

The game will be played on Normal difficulty. Sorry folks - Hard is just too much of a pain on the Civilization Stage without having to do a vehicle-swapping exploit. Easy mode is well... easy. Definitely not pointing out the obvious

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

So without further ado, let's begin this Let's Collaborate of Spore!

Last edited by Ishida on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ishida

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/IshidaShadow/

Back to top Go down

Re: Let's Collaborate! - Spore

Post by Ishida on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 pm

The Cell Stage: Generation I

The Milky Way galaxy: a place teeming of energy and brimming with sheer potential. A place where even the most grand of empires appears miniscule in its light. A place where the stars glimmer and glow as the essence of life itself shines brightly in its swirl. A place where, perhaps, some meddling players will decide to make and break its inhabitants as the tale of one lone species unfolds.

Our journey shall begin on a currently unnamed planet, with an equally unnamed species that is about to makes its journey to this very sanctum. It is just as uncertain as to what said species will eat.

Will they perhaps take on a life of grazing the flora as an Herbivore, or perhaps feast upon what other fauna possesses as a Carnivore? Although it is much possible to pursue to path of an Omnivore and obtain the best of both worlds, it must obtained throughout the journey through the choices one makes and cannot be determined from the start.

A name for the species and the planet it will live on may also be useful.

[In-Game Effect:
Herbivores eat plants
Carnivores eat meat]
Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowScale on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:51 am

I say omnivore would be an interesting path to take. Iwant to see an empire that befriends and can protect the passive races against the aggressive destroyers out there =P

As for the name of the species and planet, heres my suggestion:

Species: Karafuru
Planet: Silicon

http://xshadowscalex.deviantart.com/
ShadowScale

RP Character Sheet
Name: Blizz Braidy
Personality Trait: Optimistic
Character Description:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishida on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm

ShadowScale wrote:I say omnivore would be an interesting path to take. I want to see an empire that befriends and can protect the passive races against the aggressive destroyers out there =P

As for the name of the species and planet, heres my suggestion:

[Pre-Cell Stage, Spore only allows for Herbivore and Carnivore to start with, but I will definitely steer towards an Omnivore path unless a larger majority wants otherwise. I'll definitely keep these names in mind as well! Which of the two diets would you prefer?]
Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciabatta on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 pm

*brain explodes*  What's going on...?! XDDDD

Oh wait,... I think I remember Sips making a very funny Let's Play about this, or something like it.  I guess it'll be interesting, although I thought the game was just too vast for my pea-brain.  ^^;

Anyway... um... Herbivore is probably better, more efficient.

Remember boys and girls:  for the crops needed to breed one cow to feed 4 people, you could have fed 40 people.  Razz

RP Character Sheet
Name: Ciabatta Sylvia
Personality Trait: Busy
Character Description:

View user profile http://bigsister.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowScale on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Id say herbivore too, nothing like building a cell for speed and just zooming through the level ridiculously xD

(damn it now I want to play it... *goes to install it* Hopefully your not attacked by my creation xP)

ShadowScale

RP Character Sheet
Character Description:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishida on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:40 pm

ShadowScale wrote:Omnivore

ShadowScale wrote:Herbivore

Ciabatta wrote:Herbivore

You are now a member of the Karafuru, whom is gliding towards the planet Silicon within a meteorite.

You cannot see anything but darkness, but you feel a comforting warmth all around you. Something seems to be guiding you towards something else, but you can't quite figure out what anything is.

An intense pressure suddenly overtakes you as your once pitch black explodes into a shimmering white flash. The warmth continues to intensify, beating you with its scorching heat. And yet, you do not feel harmed by it; it's almost welcoming in a sense.

The heat fades away as a sense of cold loneliness begins to set upon you. The darkness has returned in full force, blocking your vision once more as a infinite nothingness clouds your vision.

A surge of emotion sparks within you as your mind becomes dead set on but a single goal: escape.  The blackness now makes you feel trapped - caged in and forcing you to remain in an eternal void. You squirm around with all your might, thrusting as you attempting to escape the prison of darkness. In your struggle, a beacon of light shines above you. You swim and shove with all the effort you can muster as the light expands and the casing of black crumbles around you.

As the light begins to separate into colors, an overwhelming rush of sights and smells all around you enter your newborn form. A seemingly endless ocean surrounds you as you begin your tiny life as a Cell.

A new stream of aspirations flows into your being: Eat. Grow. Evolve. Your entire figure motions towards a plant organism as those three thoughts become your sole purpose for living. Any other thoughts you once had are now forgotten and secondary in the pursuit of these goals.

You continue your quest, eyes closed as you concentrate on nothing but consuming the flora all around you. Your senses detect yet another organism, but this one feels different - similar to you, but not quite. They don't seem very appetizing though, so you decide to ignore it and make your move towards your one true meal.

That little scumbag! They snatched it from right under your nose...mouth...filter...

Looks like it's not going to be that easy - there's competition all around you who are more than willing to leave you hungry and alone so they can progress. Time to for some sweet, deserved vengeance...

Take that, you little pink monster! Doesn't feel so good now, does it? They're not getting anything while you're he--whoa!

A flooding sensation of warmth enamors you as you begin to enlarge in size! It seems that whenever you've eaten enough food, you grow in stature! This takes care of two objectives in one go! Looks like the road to evolution will be simple enough!

...Except maybe for that menacing-looking cell passing by. You definitely don't want to get on its bad side, but it looks like that other guy beat you to the punch. Flee little guy flee!

Looks like it's the end of the line for them. Poor cell. The predator appears to have swam away, seeking out its next victim. You count your blessings that they decided that you weren't worth the trouble. Out of curiosity, you check out where the fallen cell had been slain.

[Spike part obtained]
You feel...different, somehow - as if you've been enlightened by paying respect to the eaten cell. You shake off the feeling and continue your journey of feasting on the local plant life.

Ahh...now that's the stuff!

Hey, wait a moment. Did everything just get smaller again? Looks like you've had another growth spurt, but this time objects have fallen out of sight as new ones have entered it. The large clumps of plant matter are now the size of mouth, and the creatures you once feared are now your equals.

...Okay, maybe not! Shoo! Scat! Get away!

OW! You never knew what pain felt like until now, and...gah! It's horrible! Why does this feeling exist? Forget this and forget that! You just want to stay as far away as possible and not deal with that again..!

...What is that gorgeous sound? Everything just seems to have tuned out as you approach the source of the mating call. It's beyond majestic - you can't help but be attracted by its soothing siren. It's absolutely divine!

It was this magnificent creature! They even look just like you! Oh, the evenings you will spend with this beauty...

The thoughts fade out as you exit the consciousness of the Karafuru individual. The genetic makeup of the species appears before you, as well as all that they have discovered so far.

[New diet: Omnivore]
A second, carnivorous mouth and a splitting of the flagella appear over the course of the years as they zoom by your sight. The colors and pattern of the Karafuru change rapidly, but you decide to manipulate it yourself. The choices appear before you.

[In game effect: Visuals!
Vote for whichever pattern you want for our cell! This will be used throughout the rest of the cell and early creature stage, so choose wisely!

You can also vote for a color! This is not required, and if there are no votes or if there is no majority, I will use the default color for the pattern.]
Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciabatta on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Wow, dis game. It looks crazy. XD

But your narrative is very engaging, I love it so far. Clearly you seem to have as much fun writing this up to the tune of the pictures, as you did playing it. Smile

I would choose A6.. I love green. <3

RP Character Sheet
Character Description:

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowScale on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Dark blue with B6 pattern =] (change the first colour if you cant see it that well)

Btw this is fantastic! The storywriting with so many images that it looks like a frame by frame animation! xD

Its really cool to read, I didnt expect this at all, really impressed ^_^ interested to see what happens in the civilization stages xP

ShadowScale

RP Character Sheet
Character Description:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishida on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Ciabatta wrote:I would choose A6.. I love green. <3

ShadowScale wrote:Dark blue with B6 pattern =]

Sorry for the long wait! Here's a bigger update to compensate!

You consult the Universal Coin of Deciding to make a decision on the Karafuru's evolution. This coin has been forged by the gods themselves within the course of over 42,000 years as they have been passed through the cosmos and can bend the fabric of time and space itself!

...Yeah, it's just an ordinary coin. To be honest, you're not even sure where you picked this up from. You think it was while you were considering a timeshare on the third planet from Sol, but you're not entirely sure.

Regardless, you set Heads to A6, and Tails to B6.

Looks like our little cell is going to have a stripe! You flip once more - Heads for Green, and Tails for Dark Blue.

So as fate has decided, our cell shall be green!

The Cell Stage: Generation II

You are now a Karafuru cell.

Having emerged from what seems to be your a yellow ball-like substance, you journey within the vast world begins.
Two scents enter your senses.  The first far abrupt and filling - almost inciting a hint of aggression from within you. The second, however, is much softer, yet tangy in its own right; its faint yet flavorful allure piques your interest. You guide yourself towards the source of these smells.

The second you arrive to the first scent's origin both a sense of knowledge and ignorance rushes within you. The wisdom of your forefathers enters your newfound brain as you recall memories of previous generations: these meat chunks are what's all that's left of some poor, poor creature. Your ancestors would have most definitely looked upon it with a morose sigh, but you - you cannot help but feel almost enticed by the sight and smell of the chunks. It's almost like the food they used to eat, but with a more intense pungency.

Maybe one little bite won't hurt.

That was incredible! It was...like a party in your mouth, and everyone's invited! Ho ho, your predecessors were missing out! That stuff's great!

Now you're really curious - if something they were disgusted by was actually tasty, then is the plant matter that they had just as much as a delicacy? You excitedly thrust towards the food.

Whoa! Looks like all that eating has gone straight to your entire being! Well then, it looks like you'll be following in your precursors' footsteps! Their words echo in your more developed mind as you set your life goals: Eat, grow, and evolve.

Life is teeming around you as you gaze into your enlarged surroundings. There's so many other cells here and a plethora of bubbles and webs and matter and...and...

Holy motherlode of food yes. It looks like you've stumbled upon an entire array of plant matter just ripe for the picking; it's even neatly organized in branches so you can take em off!

Just gonna have a little snack before you dine. Multi-course meals and all that.

Hey. Buddy. You're getting a bit close to the flagella there. Back off a bi-

GAH! Why?! You insolent little-

Get back here!

Yeah! Not so tough now, huh?

[Jet part obtained]
That little thing on their back did look interesting though. You're not sure why, but you feel as though that you should commit that image to memory. Maybe it'll be useful someday.

Now that the pesky cell's been taken care of, you focus on the feast that lies before you in both flora and fallen fauna.

As you grow a bit more and continue, three smaller green cells make their presence before you. They don't look particularly threatening in the least bit, but they definitely seem bent on taking as much of the plank flakes as possible.

Not on your watch.

You'll have to admit though, they're pretty fast. It doesn't look like you'll catch up any time soon, so you decide to leave them be for now. You've done your job of scaring them off.

Besides, there's always easier prey, right?

Man, it tastes even better when they're alive!

Back for Round Two, eh?

Such succulence!

Another growth spurt flows through you as a new scene comes into your vision. From the other side of that plant flake that was once so vast are three cells that match your newfound size, and the pink one in the middle appears to be in a bind between two predators that finds themselves shortly victim to natural selection. You look upon it all with intrigue, and decide to get a closer look.

[Filia part obtained]
You encounter just a small piece of their fin floating near - torn off from the ravenous beasts before you as they engorged themselves into the little guy. It looks like that fin was the reason for their demise, as they could turn on a dime but lacked the propulsive power to flee.

You exit the scene only to come across another one of those long, purple cells that preyed on the one you just witnessed becoming a meal. They're leaving an equally purple little trail behind them when they move. A thought struck: that purple stuff must be food that they leave behind when they're eating! All you have to do is follow it quietly and just let the good times roll! This is the best plan you've ever conceived!

Ohjeezethisistheworstplanyou'veeverconceivedwhyareyoudoingthis

Your eyes are scorching as scrunch up to stay as far away from the field as possible. Your mouth almost feels like it was shredded off by the fumes as shake in agony. That was the most vile, repulsive, and absolutely toxic thing you've ever run into.

You hope to shake off the foul taste by falling back to the luscious kick that meat gives instead.

Much better. You still can't help but occasionally shudder after that experience, but at least the corrosive feeling has subsided. And...oh! It looks like you grew again! Maybe it's time to pay that jerk a little visit.

The sweet, sweet taste of vengeance just makes it all worth it.

What's this now? It appears a fellow Karafuru is swimming by! You don't really communicate with one another, but you definitely feel a resonance between comrades as a silent alliance forms by sight.

...Please let that big thing that's approaching us be our ally too.

NOPE DEFINITELY NOT OUR ALLY

Get away get away get away get away

Oooh, some food!

oh dear it's still right there oh no oh no oh no

More food! Salvation, at last--

You have been slain.

But with every death comes a new breed of life to takes its place. You decide to sit out becoming this cell; you just want to sit back and enjoy the beauty of nature's processes.

It looks like it's just figured out how to navigate its environment as it embarks to new sights and sounds on its adventure! Let's see what kind of things it might find!

It's a Ducky cell! But...uh oh, it's in a Predator state!

Swim little Karafuru, swim!

No, not into the spikes of a Stabber! It appears that the cell you were just trying to observe got gored to death, to your dismay. Maybe it'd be a good idea for you to stay in control this time.

You are born into life as a Karafuru once again.

A gleaming light makes its way into your vision as your eyes open for the very first time. The past experiences of your forerunners immediately floats into your head - much more rapidly than your progenitors yet not as bombarding. You find it easier to grasp everything around you all at once than they did; it's almost as if you're naturally more intelligent than they were, but that's a thought for another time.

Their mantra, of course, never fails to arise: Eat, grow, and evolve. You chuckle a bit. They became so consumed by, well, consuming and growing, they forgot the most important step - evolving. There's so much potential to be had for your species: you can almost feel it in the core of your being - the limitless possibilities of it all. You follow the gut feeling until you encounter a strange stone of some sort. There's little cracks and crevices all around that are practically emitting energy! This is an opportunity if you've ever heard of one!

[Poison part obtained]
As you break apart the meteorite with your jaw, vivid memories of one of your ancestors awaken as you are struck with inspiration! That purple gas that they had been following - it was a type of Poison! No one wonder they had been in such pain; they had literally attempted to swim in poison! Yuck! You almost feel ashamed that they're related to you.

Hey, what are you looking at? Can't a newborn cell find peace in their thoughts?  

Stop looking at me like that! What, you find me funny? You won't find it so funny when you're dead meat!

Hey, wait a second...that thing a had mouth like you've never even seen before! Well, technically you guess you haven't actually seen any mouths but your own yet-

Ahh?!

You...You don't...

You suddenly feel almost completely drained of all your energy as the cell's friend began to attach itself with that weird mouth of theirs. You feel faint...and funny...

...You barely muster the strength to start lazily biting the thing out of instinct...

[Proboscis part obtained]
You shake your head as you begin to fall out of the trance of fatigue. So, that strange mouth of theirs can sap the life right out of cells, huh? It's probably a good idea to steer clear of it at all costs; you cannot afford to fall into another trap like that if you want to keep your concentration on evolving. A new, yet somehow familiar feeling of physical growth besieges you. Looks like things are just getting started after all.

You politely shake your body to your fellow Karafuru as they shake theirs in response to acknowledge you. As you venture near some large plant clusters, a new species appears before you as another one swims by. They almost seem to complete ignore everything but the food as they exude a buzzing noise. The passerby attempts to move forward when the buzzing erupts into volume as they screech in pain!

Your friend tries to take advantage of the situation and guns for the cell, but they too receive the same fate as they're stopped in their tracks by a deceptively camouflaged jolt.

What the other two didn't notice is that the buzzing stopped. It was definitely this orange species that did whatever it was to them, and they're completely vulnerable now that their weapons are down!

[Electric part obtained]
[All Cell parts have been obtained!]
You easily defeat the cell as it begins to dawn upon you the source of their power was in their tail; it emitted some strange form of energy that could both act as light and as a weapon to stun. The concept teases your curiosity, but you decide to let it be for the time being; it's unlikely that anyone will take the hit for you as the others had just now.

After a nice, well-deserved meal for your strategic victory, you feel as though you have accomplished all that you needed to on your own. It was time to truly begin evolution - it was time to pass along the knowledge to a fair partner and child.

You are once more a transcendent being.

So it's back to the drawing board where it all began! Let's revolutionize their composition so they may face the increasingly difficult challenges that lie ahead...

---
[Now it's up to you guys to decide what parts you would like on the 3rd Generation of the Karafuru! How you want to go about suggestions is entirely up to you - whether you just suggest a single part, make a full list or even want to go as far detailed as modifying shape/positioning of parts! I am willing to take pictures of the in-game editor out-of-character in order if you want to view how a part will look like on the Cell in a certain position.

80 DNA to Spend

From Top to Bottom and Left to Right:
Omnivore Mouths
Filter Mouth + Jaw = 30 DNA (Can consume anything)
Proboscis = 25 DNA (Can consume plant matter and live cells for meat; floating chunks of dead cells cannot eaten)
Weapons
Spike = 10 DNA (Can break objects)
Poison = 15 DNA (Poison trail but does not affect large or poisonous cells)
Electric = 25 DNA (Electric parabolic field with a cooldown)
Movement (Speed can stack to +5)
Flagella = 15 DNA (+1 Speed; smooth movement pattern)
Cilia = 15 DNA (+1 Speed; swerving movement pattern with Fast Turns)
Jet = 25 DNA (+2 Speed; pulsing movement pattern)
Eyes
Beady Eye = 5 DNA
Stalk Eye = 5 DNA
Button Eye = 5 DNA
]
Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciabatta on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 am

oh sorry Ishida, this got buried and almost forgotten. XD
Great work as always (and TONS of screenshots) -- and per your request, I recommend...

Proboscis, Spike, Flagella, Beady. Smile

RP Character Sheet
Character Description:

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowScale on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 am

Oh crap I forgot too xD I even saw the post but forgot I had it open....

Anyways the choices id pick are filter mouth + jaw, 2 spikes, beady eye, Jet

ShadowScale

RP Character Sheet
Character Description:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content